Monday 3 January 2011

2010

So, I guess I should post the standard end of year round up now we're well and truly into 2011. The holiday season is just about over and the work-day routine is upon us again.

2010 wasn't the most productive year for me, creative-writing speaking, but it had some highlights. Aside from the writing part of life, I got married, so it's fair to say that a lot of time went on arranging that! We had the most wonderful day and enjoyed every minute. It was quite a job organising everything, even with a lot of help from the hotel we had our ceremony and reception in. Fun, though. Talking of fun, we then went on an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon, which was absolutely amazing. To tie back in with the more poetic side of this blog, I did keep a blog about the lead-up to our wedding, and also a sort of travel journal while we were away. These can be found at http://lauraajk.blogspot.com.

So, a big year personally speaking!

And creatively speaking:

  • I set up this blog and managed to complete 30 poems in 30 days for the April Poem a Day challenge.
  • I took part in NaNoWriMo, for the fourth time. Sadly, for the fourth time, I didn't complete it, but I always feel the taking part is the important thing. I aired some new ideas, fiction-wise, and had some fun getting back into writing fiction after being on honeymoon.
  • I wrote and edited a few poems.
  • I wrote and submitted a couple of short stories to journals and live literature nights.
  • I submitted three stories to local regular live literature event 'Are You Sitting Comfortably', and had the third one, on the subject of Wonder, accepted to be read out at at the October event. Whilst the story I submitted for 'Wonder' wasn't a new piece for this event, the other two were, so a plan to work on these further.
  • I attended a fun and inspiring workshop entitled 'Not for the Faint-Hearted', this was a series of workshops designed to inspire writers to produce something from visual prompts in a short space of time. Sadly, I only managed to attend the one session. I really wanted to attend more workshops and live literature / poetry events this year but time, weather and other things got in the way and sadly I wasn't able to.
  • I had the same short story which was read out at 'Are You Sitting Comfortably' accepted for publication in a literature journal. This was supposed to be published this month, but sadly, due to lack of funding, the publication has had to fold. Still, it was lovely to be accepted there.
  • I have continued to write articles for www.powderroomgraffiti.com

So, that was 2010. Not a great one, creatively speaking, but not too bad, I feel.

Here's to a poetic and creative 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment