Sunday 18 April 2010

NaPoWriMo Day 11

Today's quote: "Poetry is a packsack of invisible keepsakes." ~Carl Sandburg

Today's prompt:
Write about an object that you didn't choose.

Today's poem:

Not chosen


You are the one not chosen,
Ready and waiting to be on show,
Then cast aside, back in the box,
A sigh and a pout, then quiet again.

Family heirloom, often admired,
Too special for everyday use,
I thought my wedding would be the day -
Something old and something borrowed.

Crystal, elegant, perfectly constructed,
A string bridging past and future.
But you were not to be chosen,
Too unique, you just didn't fit.

I wish that day would be mine,
To feel you around my neck,
Drapped across my throat,
Transformed into someone else,
Glamorous and special.

You are the one not chosen,
Still awaiting your time to shine,
Soon it will, and you'll make
Another shine and smile all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment