Saturday 10 April 2010

NaPoWriMo Day 9

Today's quote: "Poetry is a deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of the dictionary." ~Kahlil Gibran

Today's prompt (yes, I'm a couple of days behind!):
Use the words: lap, winter, torch, pail, jug, strum, massage, octopus, marionette, stow, fringe, chimney; brussel srouts; guitar chords

Today's poem:

Winter Chill

Winter spreads like an octopus' arms,
Creeping in through nooks and crannies.
The air is sharp and brittle,
Like undercooked brussel sprouts.

Inside, we light torches and lamps,
Stow ourselves under the protection
Of blankets and cushions.
You strum guitar chords
To the tune of Christmas carols -
A marionette dancing to winter's weary waltz.

Folding my hands in my lap,
I'm grateful for our modern luxuries,
No need for pails of water, open fires,
Chimneys and jugs.
I pull the blankets around me
As I lean on your shoulder,
Massage your neck
And sing along.
You finish your song,
Smile up at me,
And swipe a cold finger
Across my fringe, down my nose
And along to my mouth
For a chilly, Christmas kiss.


A more general and open prompt this time, but it's still a useful challenge to attempt to work certain words, images or phrases into a poem, taking it somewhere new. It was also interesting to write this in front of a window with spring sunshine streaming in!




No comments:

Post a Comment