Thursday 29 April 2010

NaPoWriMo Day 23

Today's quote: "Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry." ~W.B. Yeats

Today's prompt:
Write a poem in which you combine a speaker and an event that normally don’t go together (such as sports broadcasters and poetry writing)

August 28th 1963

Today's poem:

I like this fellow,
He is very forceful,
Has the crowd dancing to his tune.

I too have a dream;
I too could stand in front of my followers,
Have them cheering me onwards.

He talks now of destiny, and freedom,
Of equality and colour.
I know of only one colour,
Of one side,
But I too know of destiny.

I have worked hard for my powers,
Have kept fighting all these years,
Much as King has,
Rising up against my teachers and leaders,
Showing them the truth in what we can do.

He talks of children,
And I think of my own,
Hidden from me at an early age.
All that I would show them,
Share my empire with them.

One day his dream may come true,
And one day I know mine shall,
The empire will know no equal,
The Death Star is nearly complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment